Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Me, The Rockabilly Bigot

I have strong opinions on clothing styles. By no means am I, as Ray Davies put it, "a dedicated follower of fashion", but I tend to be a real smart mouth about certain "trends" that have crossed over to "eye sore" status.


One that I've taken pot shots at in the past is the "flame bowling shirt, chubby, spikey hair, goatee, chuck taylors, chain wallet, bad tattoos, Oakley wrap arounds, hoop earrings, hot rod/rockabilly" archetype.


The type that only eats at 50's nostalgia diners, has multiple framed pieces of Betty Page artwork in their home, and probably listens to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy in their car on the way to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy concerts.



Now, I kinda feel bad about it. Because I LOVE watching this man's television programs:






So damn genuine and likable. And I want to eat at every single one of those "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives".

I don't even cringe when he says things are, "money". I'd watch that show until my eyes bleed maple syrup.

Is it somehow racist if I say, "Oh, but he's one of the good ones. I just wouldn't want him dating my daughter"?

No comments: